“If I Owned West Ham”

Author: . Published: at 3:15pm

Published by ExWHUEmployee but written by an anonymous writer.

This is my first Column for the West Ham Way and let me tell you I’m so happy to be working for such a great site. I will give my views on what I think my beloved West Ham should be doing.

Possibly the biggest story over the last few weeks is about Oxford and if he is staying or leaving. Personally, I think £15m would be a good deal. He’s a 17 year old who in two years time can walk for nothing. If Reece wants to sign a new contract that would be great however, if he doesn’t he may as well leave. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but, here are my reasons why: £15m will pay for the academy for three years, and produce more fantastic players something Terry Westley has started to do. We also have already 6 CB that are very good and I feel Burke has been over shadowed by Oxford and could be as good. To win six awards as a loan player including ‘Player of the Season’ for a team that nearly got promoted to the Championship is very impressive. I pray that he does not get loaned out again and gets a good run and feel of what it’s like to play for West Ham again next year. Someone like Burke will get a lot more time because of our extra games in Europe next season. My last and probably most important point is that Oxford has the same agent as Berahino and Sterling.  Both of these situations turned very ugly and almost embarrassing, which was very unsettling for the clubs. I’m almost sure it would be the same with Oxford, not only ruining a year of his life but also a year of West Ham’s (unsettling the team). However if Reece wants a bit more money then of course give it to the kid as we all know he could be gold dust, however if he doesn’t, I think we have to move on and not have a sticky situation and end up with nothing.

Another rumour is about what strikers we ‘should’ and ‘could’ get in. Lacazzete did look like a front runner and for the board to put £31million in for him was very impressive. However, I think Lyon want about €50million and for me this is a deal we need to walk away from, as there is a gamble involved as he is small and some say a little lazy off the ball.

Vardy is another one that has been floating about and someone I think every football fan admirers but is he a one season wonder!?! At 29 there is a big ‘?’ about him, as long term you are writing off you money. If he’s not a one season wonder he gives you pace, power and this season he has been very good in front of goal. Will he come or is he just trying to make Leicester give him a new contract?! If we did get Vardy it does show we are not messing about getting someone who got 24 goals this year.

Two other names in the frame have been Benteke and Batshuayi.  Batshuayi has a goal every 172 minutes and got a lot of his goals before Christmas.  Benteke, even with a disappointing year, scored every 169 minutes. If you asked me a few months ago I would of said “Let’s get Michy” however the 22 year old worried me as when lots of people started showing interest, he stopped performing. I do believe with Benteke there is a deal to be done and one that maybe could benefit us, Benteke could do very well for us if he got his confidence back.

Three other strikers that I would personally look at are: Giroud, Ben Yedder and Janssen. Three players that have been over looked! Giroud, although he has taken a lot of stick at Arsenal has always got about 17 BPL goals and got 15 this year with a goal every 151 mins. There is talk that Arsenal want him out and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind coming to West Ham. I think he could flourish under Bilic and could score at least 17 goals for us next year.

Janssen is probably one most of you haven’t heard of, however his is possibly a future star! He plays in Holland and is 21 he has scored 27 goals in 34 games this year and didn’t score in his first 7! He’s  tall and boisterous. In more recent years players like Bony, Pelle and Tadic have all done well from Holland. If we could get a good deal it is definitely worth the gamble in my eyes.

Ben Yedder is someone if I’m honest I know little about. He always seems to get over 15 goals a season in France and he only has 1 year left on his contract so there could be a deal to be done. He got 17 goals this year in France and is someone I feel could come and play in England with little trouble.

COYI ⚒

Comments

• Mike Pendleton
    30th May 2016 at 3:33 pm

Manchester United have form with players like Reece Oxford – I am sure he would be treated like Zaha – wonderful talent enticed to the bright lights – and look where that ended up. At 17 he (and his agent) should be considering how he builds a career and the experiences and people he needs to surround himself with to be one of the top talents At Manchester United I suspect he would be lost – and that for him would be a great shame

• BB
    30th May 2016 at 4:00 pm

See ya Reece Oxford. If you don’t want to play for the club then do one. If you want to be a greedy and chase money then do it away from us. Good riddance. We all know where this will end. It ends with Reece getting his big money elsewhere, hardly ever playing for 3 years and then ending up at a club like Hull, and booed whenever he plays against us for the next 18 years and everyone wondering why he never fulfilled his potential.

• James Wallis
    30th May 2016 at 4:30 pm

I can’t agree with your comments about Reece Oxford. If we start selling our best players before they’ve even established themselves in the first team, it sets a dangerous precedent and sends out a terrible message. Why would future young talent want to join West Ham if they’re sold off to the highest bidder the moment they show potential? It also tells other clubs that we are still a selling club, which is tag (I thought at least) we’re trying to shake off.

Also, we’re suppose to building a club that will compete with the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs, Man City, Arsenal etc.. That won’t be achieved by selling our best young talent to the very clubs we’re trying to compete with. It makes no sense.

Sit down with Reece Oxford and thrash out a deal he can’t refuse. Also convince him that staying at West Ham will be the best for his career in the long run. Will playing under Mourinho benefit his development? Of course not. Mourinho is hardly known for giving youth a chance.

You claim another reason to sell is so that the £15m could fund the academy for the next three years and produce more quality youngsters. Well, what’s the point of that if we just sell them at the first opportunity? Kind of defeats the object, don’t you think?

‘Hands off, he’s not for sale’. That’s the message we need to send to the so called ‘big clubs’. Gone are the days we flog off our best talent so take your £15m and shove it up your arse, Mr Mourinho.

We are West Ham United and we’re going places. That’s what I want to hear from Messrs Gold and Sullivan.

• Glenn
    30th May 2016 at 4:46 pm

I think James Wallis has hit the nail on the head. No point in me adding anything extra to what he has already said as he said it all perfectly well

• Glenn
    30th May 2016 at 4:50 pm

Also,lets not berate young Reece Oxford. There is no foundation that he is greedy or will be tempted in any way by the ManU offer or prospective offer. Presently he is a West Ham player and hopefully will be for many years.

• Ian
    30th May 2016 at 6:25 pm

He can’t walk away for free it would go to a tribuneral and with ings costing Liverpool £8m Oxford should be a lot more

Also whilst Burke is decent and a solid option Oxford is a far better all round player he has the potential to another Rio Ferdinand

• Darren Richards
    30th May 2016 at 6:29 pm

Whilst I understand the logic of selling Oxford, to say it will pay for the academy kind of defeats the object of bringing them in in the first place. If all we are going to do is sell our academy players to pay for it them why bother having one. I for one would like to see him sign a new deal and get a run of games, maybe all League and FA cup ones. I love the fact we are building a great youth set up and have some good prospects signed up long term

• William Perry
    30th May 2016 at 7:56 pm

I think people need to be less harsh on Reece Oxford, they give him shock when all we know is that it’s most likely his agent trying to get more money because that’s what they do. The thing that will make him leave the most if people start giving him stick when they don’t even know if he wants more money or if it’s his agent

• James Wallis
    30th May 2016 at 8:01 pm

Exactly, Glenn. There’s no evidence the boy is after more money or looking for a move.

I remember when Winston Reid was being slated and hounded by West Ham fans because they thought he wanted out. Next thing he signs a new long term contract.

My personally feeling is that Oxford will stay and sign an improved contract. If you want to keep class, you need to pay for it. Simple as that.

• Legends11
    30th May 2016 at 8:26 pm

not bothered too much about yedder tbh, watched his video and he looks to me like a baldock type player, and a lot of his finishes looked on the lucky side. not worth the cash, even if less than the others still looks expensive…
    i like forwards who can score the easy ones, create something out of nothing, take on a defender and even assist a few.
    its not all about statistics and goals per minute. youve got to factor out the goals against easy opponents, the tap ins (anyone can do that), the penalties (we have a penalty taker), the free kicks (we have free kick takers).
    and to be honest, i cant see any value in signing another target man like benteke (who missed a hatfull of chances against us) when we already have andy carroll for that.
    if we spend 30m on a striker i hope he’s more of a complete player – can control the ball (not like valencia), can dribble, can be direct and threathen their goal, can hold onto the ball and allow his team to move out (not like carroll), can create chances for others etc etc. … we need something different. Lacazette or Batshuayi tick these boxes imo. Need to be very careful before we spend that sort of money. Rather stick with our current forwards and bring in 2 quality wingers, 1 quality centre mid, 1 quality right back. The squad will then look rock solid.

• Davemaz
    30th May 2016 at 10:22 pm

Need a strong couple of full backs give antonio a chance to play in his natural position hell bag us plenty of goals next season if he plays on the wing defo don’t want Benteke he can’t hit a barn door why waste that sort of money on a player with no movement and no confidence in front of goal, would rather see Vardy up front plenty of pace and determination which is the type of qualitys West Ham supporters love.

• Anthony Gore
    31st May 2016 at 7:53 am

I think vardy is a NO NO?? He’s weak and I think he will fade away?? ,£Five million ????no more

• BB
    1st June 2016 at 8:43 pm

He’s been offered a new contract. He hasn’t signed it. That says it all. He’s all about the money. He has the same agent as Sterling, again that says it all. Agents don’t do anything their players don’t want them to do, so blame the agent if you must. Truth is agents only do what they are instructed to do. If his agent is touting him then you can be sure that Reece knows all about it. If he didn’t like it then he would get rid of his agent, and that’s never going to happen.