Match Report


Author: . Published: at 9:43pm

It was a night to forget for the Hammers as AFC Wimbledon deservedly earned their spot in the next round of the FA Cup.

Manuel Pellegrini made a number of changes to his usual first team, but every player on the pitch had been a starter for the Hammers during their career.

Wimbledon came out motivated, and were unlucky not to score as early as the seventh minute, when Terrell Thomas fired over the bar after being unmarked in the box.

West Ham looked sluggish and sloppy, with Wimbledon largely in control of the game when they opened the scoring on 34 minutes. An unfortunate deflection from a hapless Angelo Ogbonna sent Kwesi Appiah’s shot soaring past Adrian.

The Dons doubled their lead just seven minutes later when Pedro Obiang was easily dispossessed by Scott Wagstaff, who ran the length of the pitch before sending Adrian the wrong way and slotting the ball in the back of the net to the delight of the home fans.

A triple change at halftime aimed to try to improve West Ham’s fortunes, with Felipe Anderson, Ryan Fredericks and Lucas Perez coming on in place of Pedro Obiang, Grady Diangana and Andy Carroll. Before any of the three had the chance to make an impact, Scott Wagstaff made it three for Wimbledon with an effort poked home from 12 yards out.

After going 3-0 to the bottom team in League One, the Hammers finally switched on, and striker Lucas Perez pulled a goal back when a rebound from an Antonio effort landed at his feet.

The Hammers added a second after Will Nightingale gave away a free kick from 25 yards, which Felipe Anderson drove straight into the back of the net.

Wimbledon were unlucky to have a penalty appeal turned down after Tennai Watson was clipped twice by Masuaku, but he stayed on his feet and the game continued. Almost immediately at the other end of the pitch, Masuaku went down easily and was rightly booked for simulation.

The Hammers continued to knock on the door, but it was far too little, far too late for the Irons and Wimbledon buried their ticket to the next round in the 88th minute when Anthony Wordsworth sent in a cross which 19 year old Toby Sibbick headed straight into the net after only having been on the pitch for the better part of three minutes.

It was an embarrassing night for the Hammers, and their poor performance doesn’t take away from a very deserved win for a Wimbledon side who showed up to play football and did just that.

West Ham now finish another season trophy less, and fans will surely be disappointed as to why, in an FA Cup year with so few Premier League sides remaining, the Hammers didn’t take this match more seriously.


WEST HAM: Adrian, Antonio, Diop, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Diangana (Fredericks 45’), Noble, Obiang (Anderson 45’), Snodgrass, Hernandez, Carroll (Perez 45’)

SUBS: Fabianski, Holland, Rice, Coventry

WIMBLEDON: Ramsdale, Watson, Thomas, Oshilaja, McDonald, Nightingale, Wordsworth, Connolly (Sibbick 86’), Wagstaff, Pinnock (Soares 65’), Appiah (Jervis 76’)

SUBS: Garratt, Trotter, McDonnell, Pigott


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *