How did you become a hammer?

Home Forum General discussion How did you become a hammer?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  acey_stanton 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Craig Podevin

Hi everyone.

I think this is a good way to share how you all come to support West Ham and your favourite player throughout your lifetimes!

Okay, since I’m starting the topic I’ll go first. I support West Ham because of my parents, they both went to a lot of games as they were growing up and I therefore followed their footsteps.

My first game was probably about 2004ish against Sunderland but at that sort of time I didn’t enjoy football. My first actual game that I watched for 90 minutes was the 2006 FA Cup final (on TV), I don’t have to remind anyone of the game but it made me fall in love with football.

It makes sense then, that my first favourite player was Carlos Tevez, Dean Ashton was a close second though. I know some fans don’t consider him a legend, I think legend is a very big word, but I’d consider him a hero.

So, what was your first game? Who did you consider to be your footballing/West Ham hero as you were just starting to enjoy football? Why do you support your club?

Thanks for having a read 🙂

Ben Cooper
    Keymaster

First game was a 2 nil home defeat to the original Wimbledon (now MK Dons) in 1996. They had Vinnie Jones who now is a Hollywood actor. My uncle took my brother and I, but I didn’t really get into it until I was quite a bit older.
    I guess the earliest player I remember is Julian Dicks.

Jamo
    Participant

For me it was all about luck. My dad is a Wolves fan although has a soft spot for Arsenal having grown up in Islington. Pretty much the rest of my family support Arsenal, all except my brother.

By sheer luck my mum had a friend who was married to the club secretary at West Ham and we managed to get given free tickets now and then, must have been very early 90’s. My first memory of a game was being in the players lounge after a game and seeing Phil Parkes walk in and couldn’t get over how tall he was. So my first few games were sitting in the directors area and to be honest, although I enjoyed I couldn’t tell you what games I went to and what scores were.

In 1993 my brother took me to this game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9hOtAgjRDk and that’s when I really caught the bug. I’m so pleased I got to experience terracing and at such an historic game.

My son was born in 2000 and took him to his first game at 5, we’ve been season ticket holders since and try to get to a few away games each season too. Oh and he is happy to stand 😉

Had the privilege of playing on the pitch a couple of time and being presented with a trophy from one of my heroes Frank McAvennie. PDC is up there as one of my favourites. When I think of Ashton I feel sick, honestly think he would have been England’s best ever striker. Was gutted when he retired.

Craig Podevin

Jamo, the way you started supporting West Ham is a really nice and unique story! Not many people are that lucky eh? Sounds very familiar to my uncle, my great-aunt was some sort of accountant or something to some of the older players, not sure what era, and she got free tickets from them. He originally liked Chelsea as a child but those free tickets soon helped him change for the better.

I really enjoyed reading your post, thanks for the reply 🙂 I’m very jealous that you managed to play at Upton Park and even met McAvennie. He was a little bit before I got into football but my dad doesn’t stop talking about him and Cottee together. I hope more people share their stories!

hidetoshi
    Participant

My name is Hidetoshi, I was born in Osaka Japan. My team there is in Cerezo Osaka. We are third in the Japanese second division and we play in Kincho stadium but for big games we play in Yanmar Stadium Nagai which has a running track also. The fans are far from the pitch but we always show our heart and spirit for 90 mins.
    Football is not so popular in Japan, everyone’s favorite is baseball, I love the Hanshin tigers. I always follow premier league from Japan and I choose West Ham after I learn about the team when Ryoichi Maeda almost joined West Ham in 2012. He have a mystical warrior spirit. Back then every team he scored first goal against in the season would be relegated. He did this to Gamba Osaka, our rivals and we survied that year. I think the bubbles have great meaning and it remind me of Cerezo as we must fight for fortunes.
    I think best player is Di Canio but in my time I like Vaz te and Payet.

Ben Cooper
      Keymaster

Thank you for sharing Hidetoshi and welcome to the West ham family. I also like baseball, I have seen a few games in NY (the Yankees) who at the time had Hideki Matsui playing for them (AKA Godzilla). I actually got to see him hit a home run against LA I think.

Would be great to hear the stories of other overseas fans and how they found the hammers.

hidetoshi
        Participant

Matsui was a great player. He played for Tokyo before moving to America.

Craig Podevin

@hidetoshi, it’s awesome to hear that West Ham have some similarities to your team in Japan & that something like a transfer rumour could bring you to our club.

acey_stanton
    Participant

I was lucky enough to be a ball boy at a West Ham vs Olyroos (Australia U23 Olympic team) game at Marconi Stadium in Sydney. I think it was in 1994 and I was 12.

At this stage the only football that I remember besides the domestic league that was shown on tv was the FA Cup final and Serie A highlights show. So it’s safe to say that I had very little knowledge of the game in England. Having an English father the first two teams that I knew of were Grimsby Town (where my Dad was born) and Norwich (Grandad was from Yarmouth) but I didn’t really have an undeniable connection with them for some reason. But when I met West Ham and I even met a few of the players briefly it just felt right, plus they signed Stan Lazaridis who I loved.

I spent years basically reading the results in the newspaper every Monday until pay tv came around. In 2008 I made it over to the Boleyn to see two games (Portsmouth and Spurs), hopefully I’ll make it over again in a few years time. These days I watch every game but unfortunately they’re in the middle of the night.

Let’s hope we can turn it around this weekend!

COYI

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  acey_stanton.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  Ben Cooper.

Ben Cooper
      Keymaster

Great story acey_stanton and thanks for posting. Apologies for all these revision logs. Will try to get rid of them, I haven’t actually modified your post, its a technical issue we are working on resolving.

Craig Podevin

I really like this story. You could have easily supported Grimsby or Norwich but a unique experience attracted you to West Ham 🙂

I love hearing about fans abroad supporting West Ham, let’s hope you can come over again soon!

acey_stanton
        Participant

Having two young kids unfortunately I think it will be years before I can come back. At some stage I WILL get to the London Stadium.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.