Post Match reaction: West Ham vs Southampton

Home Forum Matchday Post Match reaction: West Ham vs Southampton

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Alex73 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Ben Cooper
    Keymaster

Another day, another defeat. We now sit in the bottom three after another disappointing day at the London Stadium. What went wrong?

In my opinion, the first goal was so easily preventable. Why was the winger allowed to progress unopposed to the byline to make the cutback? The second, again an individual error which the opposition capitalised on. And the third, well icing on the cake really.

Not time to panic, but I really feel like we have to change tactic for at least a game or two. I think that setting up with not conceding as priority one is the only approach to take. I would sacrifice a flair player for a CDM who will NOT cross the halfway line. Obiang, Oxford, or Nordtveit the obvious choices. It may result in a boring game but a scrappy 1:0 (in the Premier league) is what the doctor ordered.

On to the next,

COYI

IronInfo
    Participant

Agree, confidence is drained. Need a turnaround and fast!

I would drop either Payet or Lanzini to the bench as they offer little defensively. Bring them on when we need a goal.

hidetoshi
    Participant

I think Bilic make big mistake with defenders! No idea about game, total shambles. Never drop Payet, he is the best player.

I think Big Sam did a better job with defense.

Ben Cooper
      Keymaster

Welcome to the forum Hidetoshi,

I agree that its time to prioritise defending.

hidetoshi
        Participant

Thankyou for welcome.

Alex73
    Participant

we lose next week Bilic has to go, but board havent got the bottle to pull the trigger. Players don’t care , we are an embarsment. Where is the fight, the pride? Take me back home to Upton park

TheQuietMan
    Participant

I fully believe the only way to get out of this mess is to back the manager & get behind the team. We need to make the OS more intimidating than the Boleyn. Last season was no fluke Bilic is a great manager there is just something missing this season.

Talks about Slaven Bilic’s future may be held today. Bilic is furious with the squad he accepts as manager the blame will fall on him but for me it’s on the players. They haven’t adopted to the new stadium & have been complacent in every game.

As for the board they are massively embarrassed after bigging up the team & promising the stars. I fully expect something to give this week be it the team kick into gear, Bilic dropping big players for workers or the board dropping the hammer on slavens time with us.

Alex73
      Participant

Good, he has run out of chances IMO, lost the dressing room.

Ben Cooper
        Keymaster

I don’t know if that is true. He has a strong character and it is clear that the players respect him. I think we just need a slightly more defensive approach to get that elusive win. Then that will breed confidence and a surge up the table.

AndyRayner
    Participant

Slav, must be on limited time. He looked absolutely clueless during yesterday’s game as it was all coming unravelled. His choice of substitutions baffles me!
    We need to do things differently going forward from here. IMO, and this is possibly controversial, but I would drop Antonio. He lacks basic control of the ball at his feet, and fails to understand when to pass.
    I agree we need a holding midfielder, sitting in front of the back 4, especially while we are devoid of natural defenders. This must be a priority to stop leaking goals! In the last 4 games we have conceded 14 goals, how many of those were avoidable?
    Up front we have no firepower, we miss AC, but whilst he’s unavailable why not give Martinez a run out? He 6 in 5 for the PL2 side.
    Let’s hope we can turn all this around against Boro at the weekend

hidetoshi
      Participant

I disagree with dropping of Antonio. He scored most goals and is a very unpredictable player. Defender do not know what to do when he runs with ball.

AndyRayner
        Participant

There is unpredictable, and there is having the ability to outclass the defender. Antonio is turning in to a one trick pony, and he was dispossessed more often than he beat the defender.

hidetoshi
        Participant

Maybe true, I think all the players are losing confidence.

Ben Cooper
      Keymaster

Yes I must admit, Zaza did not do very much yesterday but do you think that is the system? I am not sure he has ever played up front alone before, clearly not a target man.

hammertime775
    Participant

The buck stops with the manager for me , we seem to be getting worse every game ! The players lost there passion. Togetherness the will to win . If there is a game plan they don’t know what it is!! I’m wondering if something happened over summer !?

Alex73
      Participant

Yeah, something ain’t right. Such a contrast from last season.

Jamo
    Participant

I think it’s crazy to suggest that Bilic should go, however some mistakes need to be rectified immediately. One of those is obvious to everyone that Zaza should not be playing the Andy Carroll role, he just doesn’t have those qualities.

It’s why I suggested the 352 formation against Saints as he needs someone to play up with him. It would have also meant we had 3 defenders against their two up top instead of just Ogbonna and Reid.

With our next game being at home to ‘boro I certainly wouldn’t be as negative in my line-up as many are suggesting. with the formation they play with Negredo up front by himself I’d stick with a 4 at the back but would bring Oxford in next to Reid and play Ogbonna on left with Arbeloa on right.

Obiang deserves his chance and if he can’t get in the team while form is this bad, I’d be looking to move on in January if I were him.

…………….. Adrian
    Arbeloa… Oxford…Reid…Ogbonna
    ……………Obiang
    Feghouli….Payet…Lanzini
    ……..Antonio
    …………..Zaza

If that team can’t beat Boro, we might as well start looking at routes to Burton now

Alex73
      Participant

Why we didn’t get Negredo I’ll never know.

Jamo
        Participant

If we played like we have he’d have been as ineffective as Zaza. He isn’t that type of player. He can finish, but he needs chances to finish and if we haven’t provided them for Zaza I don’t see why we would have created them for Negredo.

I think we have missed Sakho more than people realise. I don’t think he is a great goal scorer, but his movement was the main reason why our midfield scored so many last season. He pulled defenders all over the place creating gaps. We now have a striker who plays a completely different way.

Alex73
        Participant

Bang on matey. Sakho runs em ragged for 70 mins, tires them out, then Carroll comes on and bam, Sucker punch goal. Did that time and time again last season.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.